Sunday, March 27, 2016

Numbat

The numbat (Myrmecobius Fasciatus), also known as the banded anteater, marsupial anteater, or walpurti, is an endangered species of marsupial native to Western Australia. It has 2 subspecies; the rusty numbat (Myrmecobius Fasciatus Rufus) and walpurti numbat (Myrmecobis Fasciatus Fasciatus). The rusty numbat was declared extinct in the 1960's and had a redder coat than its living relative. I don't want the numbat to go extinct and I hope the Iberian lynx is more endangered because my mom hopes that its population will rise. It is classified to be a relative of the recently extinct thylacine. Well, I wouldn't say I hope the Iberian lynx is more endangered because I don't want the animals to be endangered or extinct. There are only 1500 numbats left in the wild and that's just as endangered as the American crocodile. It has been reintroduced to some parts of Central-Southeastern Australia. It's an emblem of Western Australia and protected by conservation programs. They mainly feed on termites and ants. I hope its population is rising.

No comments:

Post a Comment